You see professionals putting books out left and right these days. Seems everyone is a published author these days. Is it just a fad? Can anyone really be a successful author? The answer to both questions is NO.
People have many reasons for sharing their story and choosing to self-publish their books. For the purposes of this article, we’re going to focus on growing your business by becoming an author.
- Build Credibility. When you write a book on a topic you really know about, you build credibility with those who read it. You’re putting your expertise on paper for people, giving them the opportunity to learn more about you and what you know. You’re willing to put it out there for the word to see, therefore you automatically build trust
- Show Off Your Expertise. There are probably plenty of people out there who need your services. But, how many actually know what you do? By writing a book, you can let people in and show them you’re the expert. You can show them whythey need you. Your market may be saturated with other people who do what you do. Your book will show people that yes, you’re one in thousands, but that there’s truly only one of you. Use the opportunity to dial down your niche and speak to them!
- Highlight What Sets You Apart. Back to the idea of being in a saturated market. There are thousands of people who do what you do. Why are YOU different? For me, I never take royalties from a client I work with. That’s unheard of in the publishing world. What sets you apart? Do you have a specific experience that makes you a better option? These are things people aren’t going to just know about you. Put it in a book, and BAM! Now they know.
- Prospecting. Writing a shorter book can be a fantastic prospecting tool! Someone shows interest in you and they’re considering hiring you, but they haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Send them a copy of your book. Fill them with value and the chance to know you a little better. It will yield fantastic results!
- Spawn Another Business. So many opportunities can come from writing a book. You may discover another passion, like speaking. Maybe a workshop develops out of your book. Or a training. Could be that your book really takes off and becomes an income stream all on its own. Allow your story to show you what your possibilities are.
- Help People Find You. By having a book published, you will boost your SEO as you market the book. If the book is positioned properly through marketing, people will find it, and through finding your book, they will find you.
- Identify Your Target Market. Writing a book will help you narrow down who your target market is. Sure, you may feel your services are for “everyone”. Unless you sell water, they’re not. As you write a book, you will discover just who you’re writing for. That person is your target market. You write for them, you market to them, you get to know them, they find you – business grows.
- Press Opportunities. Writing a book opens the door to media. Whether it’s TV, radio or podcasts, media attention is a great way to grow business! The story you share in your book shows off your uniqueness. Especially the more authentic you are. Media outlets eat that up! Your book will open the door – use the opportunity to discuss your business.
- Keynote Opportunities. Once you find the courage to share your story and use it to grow your business, you begin to be seen as an expert. Once you are seen as an expert, you open the door to becoming a keynote speaker. This only further builds your credibility, which, as you now know, will grow your business.
- Grow Your Social Media Following. Having a published book, and talking about it, will grow your social media following. Social media is a fabulous referral source! The more who follow you, share your content, and spread it far and wide. Having this exponential reach will, of course, help to grow your business.
As you can see, there really isn’t much reason to NOT publish a book if you are in business. The writing process can be overwhelming. I’ll help remove that overwhelm! As your writing coach, I will help you every step of the way, from Brainstorming to Book Sales. What are you waiting for?
Join our author community at Brainstorming to Book Sales!